The library was established in 1931 through the efforts of the Berthoud Women's Club. It was originally housed in the old grade school and after several interim moves, it obtained quarters in the town hall in 1952. Up until the 1970's the library was entirely staffed by volunteers from the Women's Club.
In 1995 the dream of a separate library facility became a reality with the opening of the current facility on Welch Avenue. This was made possible by the very generous gifts of Dr. Helen Fickel and Dr. R. Bruce Fickel and numerous other gifts from Berthoud businesses, organizations, individuals, and the Town of Berthoud. Along with the volunteers, the library is now staffed by a full time professional library director, full time youth services librarian and several assistants.