"If none of us ever read a book that was 'dangerous,' had a friend who was 'different' or joined an organization that advocated 'change,' we would all be just the kind of people Joe McCarthy wants. Whose fault is that? Not really [McCarthy's]. He didn't create this situation of fear. He merely exploited it, and rather successfully."
—Edward R (oscoe) Murrow (1908-65) American news anchor, broadcast journalist
- Malaysia 'must intensify jet search' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:40:10 GMT
- China urges Malaysia to "step up its efforts" in the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared on Saturday.
- Nato jets to monitor Ukraine border Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:01:14 GMT
- Nato announces it will deploy Awacs reconnaissance planes in Poland and Romania to monitor the crisis in Ukraine.
- Colorado reaps $2m in marijuana tax Tue, 11 Mar 2014 02:15:32 GMT
- The US state of Colorado says it collected more than $2m in the first round of tax payments from newly legalized marijuana businesses.
- El Salvador vote recount under way Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:59:36 GMT
- Electoral authorities in El Salvador order a recount of all votes in the unexpectedly close presidential election as both candidates claim victory.
- Mt Gox wins US bankruptcy protection Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:57:05 GMT
- Mt Gox, the troubled Japanese bitcoin exchange, wins bankruptcy protection to temporarily halt US legal action alleging fraud.
- Israel attacks 'hypocrisy' over Iran Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:12:35 GMT
- Prime Minister Netanyahu shows his anger at the West as he unveils a shipment of weapons Israel says were being sent from Iran to Gaza.
- Pistorius sick as post-mortem read Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:45:31 GMT
- Oscar Pistorius is physically sick during his murder trial as he hears evidence from a post-mortem examination on his girlfriend's body.
- Detained US immigrants refuse food Mon, 10 Mar 2014 21:04:03 GMT
- About 150 people are on the fourth day of a hunger strike at an immigration detention centre in the US state of Washington, officials say.
- US Army sex crimes case in doubt Tue, 11 Mar 2014 02:12:04 GMT
- A US army judge says the military may have improperly pressed ahead with the sex crimes trial of a US army general.
- Former Heinz boss in $110m payday Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:22:57 GMT
- Former Heinz boss William Johnson receives a $110m payday as layoffs continue at the food firm, now owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital.
- US court ends 'boobies' bracelet ban Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:17:30 GMT
- The US Supreme Court rejects an appeal which sought to ban students in Pennsylvania from wearing controversial breast cancer awareness bracelets.
- Elephants recognise human voices Mon, 10 Mar 2014 23:40:14 GMT
- Elephants are able to work out ethnicity, gender and age from the sound of a human voice, according to a study.
- VIDEO: 'Dead' drug lord killed in Mexico Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:52:42 GMT
- Security officials in Mexico announce that they have killed Nazario Moreno, a drug lord who was reported to have been shot dead three years ago.
- VIDEO: Many hurt in US school stage collapse Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:56:11 GMT
- A stage at a southern California high school collapses during a performance, sending 25 students to hospital with minor injuries.
- VIDEO: UN refugee chief: Syrians need support Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:19:00 GMT
- The UN high commissioner for refugees Antonio Guterres tells BBC the Syrian refugee crisis is the worst humanitarian tragedy since the Rwandan genocide.