The library was established in 1931 by the Berthoud Women’s Club. It was originally housed in the old grade school and moved to the town hall in 1952. The library was entirely staffed by volunteers from the Women’s Club until the 1970s. In 1995 the library build a separate facility at its current location on Welch Avenue. This was made possible by gifts from Dr. Helen Fickel and Dr. R. Bruce Fickel, Berthoud businesses, organizations, individuals, and the Town of Berthoud. In July 2008 the Berthoud Community Library District was formed, making the library an independent entity with a larger service area. The library also joined a library consortium in 2013, giving those who use the library access to over 1.4 million items from all around the state.